The great zucchini challenge of 2015 is on! It’s that time of year when the zucchini seem to multiply overnight, and it’s all you can do to come up with creative ways to use them up or give them away to a good home.
For my challenge, I decided to go with zucchini corn muffins this time around. I know that zucchini bread is also a popular choice, and I may make some in a few weeks, but for now, let’s stay focused on muffins.
Zucchini Corn Muffins (makes 24)
- 4 cups grated zucchini
- 3 cups corn meal
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt (omit or use less if following low salt diet)
- 1 cup nonfat or 1% milk
- 4 Tbsp. canola oil
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
1. Prepare muffin tins with paper liners. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Gently combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Do not overmix.
3. Fill muffin tins ½ way with batter.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-30 minutes until slightly brown and done.
Nutrition information per muffin: 120 calories; 4 grams fat; 0.5 grams saturated fat; 0 grams transfat; 30 mg cholesterol; 260 mg sodium; 19 grams carbohydrate; 2 grams dietary fiber; 3 grams protein (values are approximate).