French Lentil and Feta Salad
French lentils and feta are a classic combination. A filling and somewhat hearty salad, I often bring this salad for lunch during the week; it works well for Saturday lunch too. Lentils are a good source of plant-based protein, and this salad provides 10 grams of protein per serving.
French Lentil and Feta Salad (serves 8)
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup dry green French lentils (can substitute brown lentils if green not available)
- red onion slice, ¼” thick
- 4 oz. fat free feta cheese
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
1. Wash and clean lentils and place in a pot on top of stove with the water.
2. Cook on medium-high for 20-30 minutes until they are soft and cooked. Set aside to cool.
3. When the lentils are room temperature, place in a large bowl with the red onion, red pepper, olive oil, vinegar and salt and pepper and gently toss.
4. Add feta cheese cubes last to help retain their shape and color.
5. Add chopped parsley, if desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 140 calories; 3.5 grams fat; 0.5 grams saturated fat; 0 grams transfat; 0 mg cholesterol; 280 mg sodium; 17 grams carbohydrate; 3 grams dietary fiber; 10 grams protein (values are approximate).
FREE DOWNLOAD Set up the best Basic Pantry!
Learn how to build a well stocked pantry from Culinary Dietitian, Barbara Spalding. When you have these ingredients on hand you can always make a meal even when you haven’t been to the store.